initial 441st Squadron insignia consisted of an outline
of the U.S. map with the Lions Heart escutcheon
above it and the Air Corps winged prop over it on the
left. Across the map ran a scroll with the Latin motto
Finis Origine Pendet (the end depends upon the
beginning). This earliest patch was constructed of tufted
wool. The background was yellow with the U.S. continent,
lions heart, and lettering being purple. This early
patch was used by the squadron from
its inception in 1943 and while stationed in North Africa.
later version of this patch, but still used in North
Africa, was made out of leather. The leather was most
likely goatskin. The patch was made by local artisans.
The U.S. continent and Lions Heart on this patch were
a medium blue color. Special tooling was performed to
demarcate the features of the patch.
early 1944, while on Sardinia, the Squadron altered
their design background to a quadranted circle of red
and yellow overlaid with a royal blue (though sometimes
green) silhouette of
a B-26. The winged Air Corp prop was placed in the lower
left quadrant and the Lions Heart in the upper
right quadrant. There was no special tooling on the
early examples of this patch. The reason for the change
was that it had been mandated that insignias could no
longer display any geographic features.
the group was in France the patch underwent another
change, albeit more subtle. The patch no longer was
painted yellow in two of the four quadrants, but instead
was kept a natural tanned leather. A royal blue circle
around the perimeter was added. In addition, there
was special tooling to demarcate the patch features
and tooling performed from the back to raise the
scroll relative to the rest of the patch.